Born: 06 Mar 1590/1591 in Braintree, England
Married: 07 Nov 1616 in Shalford, Essex, England
Died: 11 Mar 1672/1673 in Farmington, Hartford, CT
Wife: Elizabeth White (3)
William (Elder) Goodwin:
From "Genealogical Notes or Contributions to the Family History of Sons of the First Settlers of CT and MA." by the late Nathaniel Goodwin. Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, 1987.
Name is inscribed on stone monument erected to the memory of the early settlers of Hartford, in the ancient burying-ground of the First Church in CT (Hartford). He was admitted a freeman of MA, at Cambridge, in Nov 1632 and was a member of the first General Court in that province at which delegates attended, held in May 1634. Gov. Winthrop in his journal speaks of him as "a very reverend and godly man, being an elder in the congregation of Newtown" in Cambridge. In 1636 he was commissioned with Mr. Samuel Stone, to negotiate for the grant of the land where Hartford now stands, from Sunchquasson, Sachem of Suckiauge, and grandproprietor of the lands of this region. He was one of the trustees of Gov.Hopkins' will and in the dissensions about church membership, baptism, and discipline which convulsed the church of Hartford and Wethersfield, in 1659, he sided with the Rev. Mr. Russell, of the church at the latter place; and with Gov. Webseter, Mr. Whiting, Mr. Culick, Mr. Barnard and others, removed to Hadley, and founded there a church of which he became ruling elder, as he had previously been in the church at Hartford. He subsequently removed to Farmington, where he died in 1673, leaving one daughter who married John Crow, of Hartford. Mr. Goodwin's homestead, in the original distribution of the town of Hartford among the settlers, in 1639, embraced 3 acres - "abutting on the highway, lying at the Northside of the Riveret, leading from the palisado to Sentinel Hill" and included the site on which Wadsworth Atheneum, with the Library of the Connecticut Historical Society, now stands.
Mr. Ozias Godwin did not sympathize with his brother in his peculiar views as to church membership, and discipline, so far as to feel constrained to go out from his bretheren in the church at Hartford, but continued to reside there, where he became the progenitor of most of the name now in this section of the state. His home-lot was located on the west side of what is now Turmbull street, and on both sides of Church street as since laid out.
From "The Day Family, Ancestors and Descendants of Dudley Day, Sr,"compiled by his daughter Mary Alice 1940,.. updated 1977.
Nothing is known of the birthplace or date of birth of Elder William Goodwin. He probably came from Braintree, Eng. He sailed from London in the Lion in 1632, Jun 22, and arrived Boston Sep 16 of the same year. He was elder of the church before Rev. Thomas Hooker arrived.
Mr Goodwin's allotment of 16 rods of impaled ground in the little village of Newton placed him among the larger proprietors of the little colony. Probably moved with the Newton settlers to CT in 1636. He and Rev Samuel Stone and Stanton were appointed to committee to compose certain difficulties that had arisen between the settlers and Soheagean, an Indian Sachem of Wetherfield. Previous to this, Goodwin and Stone had been appointed a commmittee to purchase land of the Indians.
In laying out the town he was assigned the best lot in Hartford. He and his son-in-law, John Crow, bought 776 acres on the east side of the river and established mills there where Burnside now stands. He bought other land and was one of the largest land owners of Hartford.
Mr. Hooker left him and Mr. Edward Hopkins as executors of his will and also to care for "the education and dispose" of his children.
He moved to Hadley and later to Farmington where he d. in 1673. He had but one child, the wife of John Crow. He was a ruling elder of the church at Newton, Hartford, and Hadley. He was also a Deputy to the General Court from Cambridge, MA in 1634.
From "Original Hadley Settlers," in the Grafton Magazine, special edition, by Dr. Franklin Bonne and Elbridge Kingsley:
Sailed from London 1632. In 1634 Deputy from Cambridge to General Court. Settler of Hartford. In Hadley about 10 years. Returned toFarmington, Conn. Died 1673. Hadley plot was in his name as late as 1686, passed to Samuel Crow. In family until 1770.
Listed in LDS Ancestral File, AFN: 8JQS-GC
From "The Goodwins of Hartford, CT, Descendants of William and Ozias Goodwin," compiled by James Junius Goodwin, Brown & Gross, Hartford CT.,1891:
(much of the above)
One para bio contained in "Catalog of the Names of the First Puritan Settlers of the Colony of CT", by R. R. Hinsman, originally published in Hartford 1846, reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co, Baltimore, 1968.
From Wayne Olsen
From "The Goodwins of Hartford CT, Descendants of Willliam and Ozias Goodwin", compiled by James Junius Goodwin, Hartford CT. Brown and Gross Publ. 1891:
Says William Goodwin's only child Elizabeth was born by Susanna. Doesn't mention second wife Elizabeth White at all.
Listed in LDS Ancestral File, AFN: 92DH-PC
Revised: November 26, 2016